PM&G, INC | LETTER OF OPINION | GRADED 10
1957 Willie Mays New York Giants Game-Used Home Flannel
Teams Final Season In New York
MICRO LEVEL ANALYSIS
Thread where it enters and exits the body of the garment should remain darker as it has not been exposed to the elements in the same manner as the uncovered thread.
✓ analysis of "M" in "Mays" stitched in the collar reveals darker thread at the point of entry and exit.
exemplar Driven Database
'57 Giants McAuliffe Manufactured Product
Top: 1957 Willie Mays NY Giants Game-Used Home Flannel Jersey
Bottom: 1957 Joe Margoneri NY Giants Flannel Pants
Comparison & Examination
Calligraphy & Placement of Player Identification:
- Style of "Ma" in both Mays and Margoneri.
- Same stitch length and weight of thread.
- In-line straight stitched black thread used in player ID and white thread anchoring felt onto the uniform.
- All identifiers hand-sewn, presumably by the same seamstress.
- Identical felt fabric weights and application.
- Level of oxidation and wear pattern, respectively.
Custom-tailored button hole closures as Mays preferred a tighter-fitting shirt.
Excerpt from The Story of Baseball in Words and Pictures by John Durant... "Baseball players have worn the form fitting uniforms since Giants teammates Tito Fuentes and Willie Mays took their pants to a... tailor... and had them re-cut."